The County Hotel building was originally constructed in 1909 for the Hawke’s Bay County. It is now the only example of Victorian-Edwardian classical style that survived the devastating 1931 Napier earthquake.
The building remained as the traditional location of the Hawke’s Bay County Council administration until 1987, when the need for greater space forced the council to new premises in Hastings. The New Zealand Shipping Company Limited, Robert, Dobson & Co. Accountants, and the former Napier Municipal Electricity Department have also been housed within these walls.
During 1993 restoration work began with an aim to return the building to its’ former glory and to transform it into a hotel of character, distinction and charm. Original Edwardian Gothic features with Art Deco influences have been lovingly preserved, including the high ceilings, wood panelling and fine detailing transforming the former County Council building into a boutique hotel and popular restaurant.
Today the County Hotel has earned a reputation with a multi award winning Restaurant and a 5 star experience due to unsurpassed service, cuisine and accommodation in an exclusive ambience. The County Hotel is a unique dimension in elegance and is seen to be the flagship building of Napier’s Art Deco heritage and is also the proud winner of the Art Deco Trust Supreme Award.
Features Of the Hotel
- Napier's Flagship Hotel
- Serviced daily
- 24 hour room service
- Mobile phones in room for guest use and purchase.
- Interconnecting rooms available
- Private balconies available
- 18 Luxury Queen and King rooms
- Superior Spa Rooms and Suites available
- 1 Regal Suite with 2 separating queen bedrooms, lounge, balcony and 2 bathrooms
- 2 wheelchair-access rooms
- Wine Street Restaurant on site, all meals extra
- Degustation and personalized menus
- Churchill’s Lounge Bar onsite
- Central heating/airconditioning
- Guest library
- Function rooms
- Business Centre
- Full car parking available
- New Zealand Wine Centre opposite
- Royal Stretch Daimler Tours
- Rooms Service available
- Airport Pick-Up Service available